Saturday, 27 October 2007

Half Term Fun

Half term is well and truly over for us and the kids are back to school. We were all glad of the break though and especially enjoyed the last day of term which was United Nations Day.

UN Day is a big deal at the kids school as there are between 35-45 nationalities represented in the school at any given time. This year saw a bit of controversy with the Scottish, Irish and Welsh branching off into a little group of their own. Last year I tried to manage a minefield of disagreement amongst parents on the Irish Question and other such regional battles. It amazes me that the adults are able to get so het up about this type of thing and they forget the day is meant to be about the kids celebrating the fact the school is a "uniting" of nations...ah well, some things are clearly lost on some parents!

I ended up being the co-ordinator for the English kids again despite a genuine get out of jail card with the pregnancy from hell - but then that got trumped by my friend's dad suddenly passing away and prompting her unexpected return to England. Poor love, it has to be every expat's worse nightmare to have that happen and so the least I could do was take over organising UN Day for her.

There were 124 English kids and in the absence of a National Costume (chav outfits do not count!) we opted for T-Shirts with the St George's Cross. The kids had a great day and they all looked great in the parade. Here's a pic of some of the kids and then Aimee and Ollie....




Once UN Day was over and done with we headed off to Bintan for a little holiday. Poor Leigh was feeling knackered after an especially stressful few weeks at work so it was great for him to have a break. The hotel looked spectacular on the website, was great when we got there but to be honest, lacked any real personality. It was also very quiet which didn't help but it wasn't school and it wasn't work so we can't complain.

Leigh and I have decided that even after only 18 months in Asia we just don't get that initial "WOW" feeling anymore on holiday out here as everywhere you go its stunning beaches, great scenary etc etc. When we're back in England we'll be beating ourselves but I suppose its a good thing that we are still able to realise the vista should be taking our breath away, even if it isn't! God, we sound like spoilt brats - I promise we're not and haven't morphed into hideous expats quite yet!!!!

The kids enjoyed the break despite the lack of other children to play with. They especially liked the garden and outside jacuzzi that came with our accomodation. I love this picture of them in the "bubbly pool" with Leigh - doesn't he look like a giant with those long legs hanging over the side?



That's it now though, definitely seems like no more opportunities to enjoy short breaks Asia style for quite a few months as my belly grown larger every day and my Doc puts a ban on travelling outside of Singapore. We do have an exciting Christmas and New Year to look forward to though as Jon and Tracey are coming to visit from England and Leigh has booked off the whole of the holidays from work.

In the meantime, we return to school and work for Leigh and the Kids and I get into some serious glueing and sticking for the Infant Nativity play - apparently, if I'm very good, I might be allowed near a sewing machine. See, would a spoilt expat brat put up with that????

1 comment:

Bev and Ollie "O" said...

Hello !

I just read your comment on Ali's page, are you from Herne Bay area too?? I am from Beltinge, I grew up there and now live in Belgium, I do miss the Bay! I used to work at Rooks for my Saturday job as a teen, oooh the best sausage rolls ever!! hehe

Sorry waffling there, got all excitid! xx